Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kolkata Bookfair 2010


Well, it has been a long time I wrote anything to this blog. Due to several reasons for some times I couldn't write anything , but ... here I am, again with the world around me.

Today is one of those days when I get enough time to sleep in the morning (I love to sleep in the morning rather that at night... :P ) . So now I have quite fresh mind to write something about the 34th Kolkata Book Fair (2010).

Yesterday Dipanjan , Anirban and I went to the Kolkata Book Fair.  I left my home at around 2 pm to catch a Belurmath-Garia bus from Ballyghat. Dipanjan was supposed to board that bus from Belurmath . I reached Ballyghat , a bit later than I had aimed. So I thought the bus had already left.  But when I called  up Dipanjan on cellular phone, he  told me that the Bus was still sleeping in the bus-stop. What to do?  Suddenly I noticed an empty slab under a tree beside the bus-stand. I sat there and started playing games on my mobile phone. After about 35 minutes the bus came (at last) and we (dipanjan and I ) headed for the Book Fair. We were supposed to meet Anirban at Ultadanga at around 3 pm. But we were late by about 55 minutes to reach Ultadanga. Anirban boarded the Bus. He had a face apparently about to burst into a storm and handed his bag to me. Before telling  anything he slipped into the crowd at the other end of the bus. Well he was rightful to be angry as he had to wait for almost an hour. Luckily the anger was discharged at some other guy in the bus on the way to reach us.

Finally at around 4:15 pm we reached the Book Fair. Here we had an  experience new to  Bookfair. There was no long queue in the ticket counter but we had to stand we had to stand at the tail of a long queue at the Entrance. The Book Fair was not as crowed as expected. But it was an advantage as I could search for the books easily. I bought "The Rockingdown Mystery" by Enid Blyton and "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. Then we faced another unexpected incident at the Book Fair. Power cut at the bookfair - as it was. We were at the Deb Sahitya Kuthir stall then. All the stalls suddenly sunk into a Dark Sea. We ran out of the stall. Luckily the street lights of the Book Fair had some power backup. But this power failure led to chaos and commotion in the fair premises.
This load shedding lasted for about 40 minutes and almost all the big stalls downed their shutters at that time.

As we had nothing to do at that time, we searched for some food at the food park. But, like us, many people had gathered at that place, so we hardly found any place to stand in the food park. Then I bought an ice cream and Anirban bought a packet of Hajibaji Chanachur (lol... ya its the name of the brand) . Soon we left that place.

Apart from the chaos we had a very good time at the Book Fair. That is all for today. A chocolate is waiting for me at the dining table... :D ... cya.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We were at Deb Sahitya Kuthir when the power failure occurred (it was not a load shedding).